Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, speaks during an interview with Reuters in Damascus, Syria, August 22, 2026. REUTERS/Khalil Ashawi
Syria expects talks with 'Israel' to resume, yet, no trust
Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.
- Damascus urges 'Israel' to seize diplomatic opportunity.
- Syria demands end to 'Israeli' strikes before talks.
- Draft deal calls for 'Israeli' withdrawal from Syria.
- Shaibani rejects 'Israeli' concerns over Turkish support.
Syria expects negotiations over a security agreement with 'Israel' to resume soon, according to Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, who urged 'Israel' to capitalize on an open diplomatic doorway to secure an eventual withdrawal from Syrian territory.
Speaking to Reuters in Damascus on Saturday—days after 'Israeli' forces bombed a Syrian airbase—Shaibani emphasized that Damascus's immediate priority is stopping 'Israeli' strikes and establishing confidence-building measures.
"We believe there should be contact, especially with a party that constantly threatens the security of Syria. But if this contact doesn’t bring results, then we don’t need it," Shaibani told Reuters. "We do not trust Israel currently."
The office of the 'Israeli' Prime Minister did not respond to requests for comment regarding the interview.
US diplomacy, terms of draft security deal
Washington has spent over a year working to broker a security framework between 'Israel' and Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
However, an agreement has remained elusive as 'Israeli' forces have conducted incursions into Syrian territory and struck state military infrastructure.
Shaibani stated that negotiations had been frozen since the start of the Iran war, and direct contact was temporarily cut following the recent airbase strike.
However, he noted that around the beginning of the year, both sides had "agreed on paper to almost everything" regarding a security agreement before 'Israel' hesitated to implement it.
The envisioned agreement ties an 'Israeli' withdrawal from lands taken following the fall of Bashar al-Assad in late 2024 to a structured security arrangement:
A dedicated buffer zone near the border exclusively managed by United Nations personnel.
Phased security zones inside Syrian territory where Syrian forces would deploy under specific operational restrictions.
"The US is trying continuously to put pressure on Israel to return to the dialogue table," Shaibani said, adding that while it is "very hard to bet on Israel," Syria holds "very great hope" for regional stability.
Airbase strike, Turkish support, and Golan Heights context
Tensions spiked on Tuesday when 'Israel' bombed Syria's Abu al-Duhur airbase, alleging Damascus planned to allow Turkish forces to deploy there—a claim denied by both Syria and Turkey.
Shaibani stated that Syria conveyed a message to 'Israel' before the strike confirming the base would not house Turkish forces.
He defended Syria's right to accept military training and cooperation from Turkey, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia to rebuild its military following 14 years of war.
Addressing broader territorial issues, Shaibani noted that while Syria and 'Israel' have technically remained in a state of war since 1948, and 'Israel' has occupied the Golan Heights since 1967, stopping ongoing attacks remains the immediate mandate.
"The priority now is to stop 'Israeli' aggression even before reaching a security agreement," Shaibani stated to Reuters. "Then perhaps we can open the topics of peace and the Golan."



