'Mossad' chief, Syrian FM discussed Turkish deployments before strikes: Reuters
Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.
- Mossad chief Roman Gofman spoke with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani on August 14 about Turkey’s military presence in Syria, according to three sources cited by Reuters.
- The call came days before ‘Israel’ launched airstrikes on a Syrian military airbase in the north of the country.
Mossad chief Roman Gofman held a phone call with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani last week in which they discussed Turkey’s military presence in Syria, according to three people familiar with the matter, Reuters reported.
The call took place on August 14, four days before ‘Israel’ launched airstrikes on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northern Syria, the sources said.
The conversation marks one of the highest-level contacts reported between ‘Israel’ and Syria’s new government since the fall of former President Bashar al-Assad in December 2024.
The reported discussion focused on Turkey’s military presence in Syria, amid growing tensions over Ankara’s expanding military cooperation with Damascus.
‘Israel’ said its August 18 strikes on the Abu al-Duhur base were intended to prevent Turkish troops from deploying there, arguing that such a move would breach a security status quo agreed with Syria. Turkiye rejected the claims as "untenable."
The strikes have further heightened tensions between ‘Israel’ and Turkiye, while the United States is working to establish a deconfliction mechanism involving ‘Israel’, Syria and Turkiye to prevent further military escalation.



