Published: 2022-09-25 13:58
Last Updated: 2023-03-28 09:41
Sunday, the former Minister of Health, Dr. Saad Al-Kharabsheh, said that the last recorded case of cholera in Jordan was about 40 years ago. This came after the disease’s outbreak in Syria.
Also Read: Cholera ruled out in Jordan after outbreak in Syria
He told Roya that the death rate is zero or more precisely, “less than one percent,” adding that he does not think the disease poses a threat to Jordan.
He added that the symptoms of cholera are very mild, and the disease is no longer dangerous due to the availability of treatment as well as solutions that limit its spread.
Cholera is only transmitted in places with bad sanitation, Kharabsheh said, adding that all health organizations did not recommend stopping trade or travel between countries because of cholera, but there is a protocol related to health control of all imports and exports, whether food or other.
For his part, the Regional Director of the World Health Organization, Ahmed Al-Manzari, had confirmed that cholera is considered a threat to Syria, neighboring countries, and the world at large.
He pointed out that WHO is working to strengthen its monitoring of new cases, give patients the appropriate treatment, and track the infected and their contacts.
Also Read: Syria reports 14 deaths and 201 cases of cholera
Notably, the Ministry of Health posted a Facebook post in which they gave important tips to avoid infection with infectious diseases, especially cholera.
The post said that cholera is a disease caused by bacteria that are transmitted from one person to another due to consumption of contaminated food, drink or water, calling on citizens to maintain personal and general hygiene, to wash hands with soap and water, especially after using the toilet, and to wash vegetables and fruits well before eating them, in addition to eating well-cooked food and refraining from buying from street vendors.
Cholera’s symptoms include severe and frequent diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. The ministry called on those who suffer from these symptoms to visit the hospital to avoid severe dehydration or death.