Published: 2018-07-01 21:43
Last Updated: 2018-07-02 11:06
Four wounded Syrians were allowed to enter Jordan and later admitted into Jordanian hospitals where they are to receive medical treatment, Minister of State for Media Affairs Jumana Ghunaimat said on Sunday.
The decision comes as a result of a prior agreement between international organizations and the Jordanian government, according to the minister.
“The wounded didn’t come from southern Syria, but from different areas,” Ghunaimat told Roya.
Since Saturday, the Jordanian army and Civil Defense personnel, in coordination with their Syrian counterparties, have been delivering humanitarian aid and necessary medical treatment to thousands of displaced people within Syrian territories.
"This comes in line with Jordan's commitment to helping our Syrian brothers,” Ghunaimat commented.
Earlier this week, the kingdom shut down its borders as a new wave of Syrian refugees was expected to flee towards Jordan after a recent fierce escalations in Daraa.
Neighbouring Egypt, has also announced its inability to receive additional refugees.
Jordanian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, Ayman Safadi, commented on the same subject in a tweet: "We are continuing to do everything to help civilians in the south on their land. We are moving in all directions to bring a halt in fighting and protect civilians."
Meanwhile, a public campaign started today in the city of Salt where six large cars -loaded with food and medical supplies- were sent to assist displaced Syrians.
Activists told Roya that the campaign was initiated by the people of Salt who voluntarily participated in collecting and donating items in order to support Syrians who are currently stranded on the Syrian-Jordanian border.