Welcome to Roya News, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.

1
Image 1 from gallery

US again avoids taking responsibility for Iran school attack

Listen to this story:
0:00

Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.

Published :  
3 hours ago|

A senior US military commander declined to accept responsibility for a strike on a school in Iran that killed about 170 people, most of them children, on the first day of the war, saying an investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

Admiral Brad Cooper, head of United States Central Command, told a congressional oversight panel that the school was located on what he described as an active base operated by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, making the probe “more complex than the average strike.”

The February 28 attack in the southern Iranian city of Minab killed 73 boys, 47 girls, 26 teachers, seven parents, a school bus driver, and another adult. US officials have so far stopped short of formally acknowledging responsibility for the strike.

The comments came during questioning by Representative Adam Smith, who noted that similar incidents had previously been acknowledged quickly, even while investigations were still underway.

Cooper said the findings would be released once the probe is complete. Smith replied sharply, saying the response amounted to a refusal to accept responsibility for what he described as an apparent mistake.