Welcome to Roya News, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.

1
Image 1 from gallery

Lebanon says army needs four months for Hezbollah disarmament phase two

Listen to this story:
0:00

Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.

Published :  
15 hours ago|
Last Updated :  
14 hours ago|
  • Lebanon’s army will need at least four months to implement phase two of Hezbollah disarmament in the south amid ongoing Israeli strikes and political tensions.

Lebanon’s government announced Monday that the army would require at least four months to implement the second phase of its plan to disarm the militant group Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.

The timeframe could be extended depending on available resources, obstacles on the ground, and 'Israeli' attacks, officials said.

The government last year committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was reportedly significantly weakened during a recent war with 'Israel', and tasked the Lebanese army with drafting a phased implementation plan. The military completed the first phase last month, covering the area between the Litani River and the 'Israeli' border, roughly 30 kilometers farther south.

The second phase targets the area between the Litani and Awali rivers, around 40 kilometers south of Beirut. Information Minister Paul Morcos told reporters after a cabinet session that the government “took note of the army leadership’s presentation” and reiterated the four-month timeline, which could be extended if necessary.

'Israeli' violations continue

'Israel' has continued to carry out strikes allegedly on Hezbollah operatives and infrastructure despite a November 2024 ceasefire intended to end more than a year of hostilities. The 'Israeli' army maintains troops in five strategic areas in southern Lebanon, while Hezbollah has rejected calls to surrender its weapons north of the Litani River.

Lebanon’s health ministry reported that 'Israeli' strikes on Monday killed two people in southern Lebanon, while the 'Israeli' army claim its attacks targeted Hezbollah operatives.

Hezbollah rejects disarmament efforts

Before the cabinet session, Hezbollah deputy chief Naim Qassem criticized the government’s focus on disarmament, calling it “a grave sin” that serves 'Israeli' interests. In a televised address, Qassem urged the government to “stop all action to restrict weapons,” blaming “successive concessions” for 'Israel’s' continued attacks.

The Lebanese government says it remains committed to its phased disarmament plan, while balancing internal political pressures and the ongoing threat of 'Israeli' military action.