Raed Hamad, one of two Jordanians who died in Russia after being recruited to fight in the war.
Jordanian family says father was deceived into fighting for Russian army
Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.
- Family says Jordanian man killed in Russia was lured into military service under false pretenses.
The son of one of the two Jordanians killed in Russia during clashes with Ukrainian forces has revealed new details about how his 54-year-old father was allegedly lured into joining the Russian army under false pretenses.
In an interview with Roya News, Awab Raed Hamad said his father, Raed Hamad, had no military background and had never served in any army. He said his father was promised a high-salary administrative job in Russia to improve his living conditions. But upon arrival, he discovered the “job” was actually combat service in the Russian military.
According to Awab, his father tried repeatedly to return to Jordan once he realized he had been misled. “They took his passport and documents and demanded money to allow him to leave,” he said, adding that he was placed on the “front lines” and used as “a human shield.”
Awab said his father was detained for 24 hours after refusing to participate in military operations. The family maintained sporadic contact with him until September 15, 2025. On September 25, someone from inside Russia sent a message offering condolences, claiming Raed had been killed. The family did not believe the news until Jordan’s Foreign Ministry confirmed the death on Wednesday night.
Raed Hamad is one of two Jordanians who died in Russia after being recruited to fight in the war.
Awab appealed to Jordan’s Foreign Ministry to bring his father’s body home for burial among his family, and to retrieve his personal belongings. He added that the family still holds “1% hope” he may be alive, saying there is no definitive evidence proving his death.
Jordan warns against illegal recruitment
Jordan’s Foreign Ministry said Thursday it is investigating the deaths of the two Jordanians who were recruited to fight with the Russian army. Ministry spokesperson Fouad Al-Majali said officials are closely monitoring what he called the “enticement” of Jordanian citizens by external parties for illegal enlistment.
Al-Majali stressed that such recruitment constitutes a violation of both Jordanian and international law and places citizens’ lives at serious risk.
He urged Jordanians to report any attempts to recruit them into the Russian army and warned against engaging with such networks.
He added that Jordan has formally demanded that Russian authorities stop recruiting Jordanians and terminate the enlistment of any Jordanians already serving. The ministry is also tracking online networks involved in the recruitment process in coordination with national institutions, saying the act is a “gross violation” of law and will be met with legal and diplomatic measures.



