Saudi Arabia donates USD 40 million to UNRWA

MENA

Published: 2024-03-20 23:56

Last Updated: 2024-04-17 22:08


A damaged UNRWA site in the Gaza Strip. (File photo)
A damaged UNRWA site in the Gaza Strip. (File photo)

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced that it will donate USD 40 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) on Wednesday - as the UN aid agency faces threats of funding cut-off amidst “Israeli” allegations of the organization’s employees’ involvement in the Oct. 7 “Operation Aqsa Typhoon” carried out by Al-Qassam Brigades.

The funding will provide food for over 250,000 individuals and tents for 20,000 families in Gaza, The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center stated in a press release.

"This support comes in response to the directives of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to provide support to the Palestinian people at this critical time," said Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, the superintendent of the Center, said in the statement,

Canada, Australia, and Sweden have resumed their funding to UNRWA earlier.

The Spanish government announced earlier this month additional assistance of EUR 20 million to the agency to address the dire humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip.

Meanwhile, UNRWA warned it is facing a crisis due to several countries halting their funding to the agency.

*Stay informed with our carefully curated content delivered directly to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive updates and in-depth analysis. Click here to subscribe.