Second Jordanian confirmed dead in Israeli Embassy 'screwdriver attack' in Amman

Jordan

Published: 2017-07-24 09:38

Last Updated: 2024-06-13 18:46


The building has now been sealed off and the embassy has been evacuated.
The building has now been sealed off and the embassy has been evacuated.

A second Jordanian man has been confirmed dead in an attack on the Israeli Embassy in Amman on Sunday night.

Dr. Bashar Al Hamarneh was reportedly caught in the crossfire between an Israeli guard and another Jordanian at a residential building used by the embassy.

The doctor was the landlord of the building.

The building has now been sealed off and the embassy has been evacuated.

The Israeli man was reportedly stabbed in the torso with a screwdriver by a 17-year-old Jordanian, who was delivering furniture to the building.

Reports say the incident occurred after a fight broke out between the two men. The Israeli guard is currently being treated the Arab Medical Center in Amman.

Following the incident, dozens of the young man’s family gathered at the Middle East Circle in protest of their son’s death.

Protesters demanded details of the investigation into the incident are made public, while calling on the maximum punishment for their son’s killer.

The father of the deceased told Roya that his son was not aware of the Israeli guard’s nationality or occupation when he bought furniture from their shop.

He added that he was utterly shocked to hear that their son had been killed on the job.

Meanwhile, police forces used teargas to break off the protesters, who closed off the road using rocks and old car tyres.

While the Israeli Foreign Ministry said that the security guard “has immunity from investigation and arrest,” Jordan is barring the guard from leaving the country, according to Haaretz.