Welcome to Roya News, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.

1
Image 1 from gallery
اقرأ بالعربية
اقرأ بالعربية

Waste fire sparks massive explosion in Taiwan’s Tainan

Listen to this story:
0:00

Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.

Published :  
4 hours ago|

A fire and explosion erupted early Saturday in a residential area of of Taiwan’s Tainan’s Annan District, injuring at least 13 people, damaging homes and vehicles, after waste materials ignited in a vacant lot.

The Tainan City Government Fire Bureau received a report at 1:12 a.m. of a blaze involving waste materials on Haidian Road.

It dispatched 53 firetrucks and 144 firefighters to the scene. The intense fire was followed by one or more explosions that spread flames to nearby homes and damaged vehicles, including emergency apparatus.

Thirty-six residents were evacuated as crews battled the blaze for more than four hours before extinguishing it.

“A fire and subsequent explosion in a residential area in Tainan early Saturday injured 13 people and damaged eight homes and 20 vehicles,” the bureau reported.

Three firefighters and 10 other people sustained mostly minor injuries such as abrasions and burns; all were treated and discharged.

A preliminary investigation found aluminum-magnesium alloy and waste oil at the site.

The city’s air-quality sampling showed no abnormalities afterward.

Later updates from Central News Agency and other outlets put the toll at 14 or 15 injured (including three firefighters) and noted that the blast wave shattered windows and damaged structures across 57 to 68 households within about 100 meters, with 11 homes more directly affected by fire.

Up to 22–26 vehicles, including fire engines, an ambulance and civilian cars, were damaged. Residents said they initially mistook the explosions for thunder.

Authorities said the vacant lot, previously used as a parking area, had been illegally stocked with industrial waste, including materials that can react violently with water.

Rain at the time may have contributed to the chemical reactions that produced multiple blasts and a mushroom-like plume.

Police questioned two men linked to the dumping—a 30-year-old surnamed Yang and a 43-year-old surnamed Wang—who were released after giving statements; the case was referred to prosecutors.

A related Kaohsiung waste operator is under joint investigation.

The city provided NT$20,000 emergency funds to the hardest-hit households, arranged temporary shelter at a local temple, assigned social workers and offered further aid and legal assistance for claims.