Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem.
Hamas reaffirms commitment to US-backed peace plan: AFP
Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.
- Hamas reaffirms support for US-backed Gaza roadmap.
- Group blames 'Israel' for stalling agreement.
- Board of Peace weighs new disarmament framework.
- All-at-once disarmament risks losing Hamas support.
Hamas said it remains committed to the US-backed Gaza peace agreement following consultations led by US envoy Jared Kushner, accusing 'Israel' of obstructing implementation of the roadmap.
Speaking to AFP, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem emphasized that the group has held to its obligations under the framework negotiated with international mediators.
"Hamas is committed to this agreed-upon process. It is clear that, so far, the 'Israeli' side has not given the mediators clear approval of the roadmap," Qassem told AFP.
The statements follow Kushner's regional visits to press 'Israel' and regional mediators on turning the peace framework into verifiable actions.
Meanwhile, internal negotiations are facing structural hurdles. The US-controlled Board of Peace is considering abandoning its phased disarmament framework due to resistance from 'Israel', a source directly familiar with the talks told The Times of Israel on Monday.
The original roadmap, which Hamas accepted on July 30, divided the roughly 47 percent of the Gaza Strip under Hamas's control into five distinct sectors. Under that structure, each sector was scheduled to be demilitarized successively, paired with corresponding redeployments of 'Israeli' forces.
According to the source reporting to The Times of 'Israel', shifting the framework from a sector-by-sector approach to a wholesale, all-at-once disarmament plan might satisfy 'Israeli' demands, but it risks destroying the consensus built with Hamas after months of negotiations by the Board of Peace.



