Day 128 | "Iranians are begging to make a deal," Trump tells Axios
Latest developments:
- Trump told Axios he is closely following the funeral of Iran's former Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, who was assassinated on the first day of the war in a joint US-'Israeli' operation.
- Trump claimed the Iranians are "begging to make a deal" and said both sides agreed to pause negotiations for one week until the funeral events conclude.
- According to Trump, neither side will carry out attacks during the pause. He added, "They are all there. One shot [and we can take them all out], but we are not going to do that because then we would have nobody to negotiate with."
- Trump also said he was surprised to see mourners crying at Khamenei's funeral, saying he believed many Iranians disliked him, before adding, "Maybe it's fake tears."
- More than 10 million people, including delegations from over 100 countries, are expected in Tehran for Khamenei's funeral, according to Iranian officials.
- Meanwhile, 'Israel' has carried out additional strikes in southern Lebanon, saying it targeted Hezbollah infrastructure and fighters despite last month's framework agreement with Lebanon aimed at ending the conflict.
Thread ended
This live thread has ended. Follow our online coverage of day 129 of the war.
Read more: Day 129 | 'Israel' strikes Lebanont as Iran mourns Khamenei
Netanyahu holds security meeting on Lebanon troop withdrawal: Hebrew media
'Israel's' Channel 13, citing senior defense sources, reported Sunday that 'Israeli' Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is convening a high-level security meeting to formally approve specific military withdrawal points from designated pilot zones in southern Lebanon, in accordance with the recently signed framework agreement.
Netanyahu says he believes there is no rift with Trump
- Netanyahu said Trump acts in America's interests while he acts in 'Israel's' interests.
- He added that any differences are discussed openly and usually resolved.
'Israeli' Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has dismissed assertions of a rift in his relationship with US President Donald Trump, stating that their bilateral communications remain open and focused on their respective national interests.
Speaking to Fox News, Netanyahu directly addressed recent speculation regarding tensions between the two leaderships, affirming that he views their strategic dynamic as stable.
National sovereignty, open dialogue
Netanyahu framed the relationship through the lens of independent leadership, noting that each leader's primary responsibility is to their respective country.
"President Trump is the leader of America and does what is in its interest, and I am the leader of 'Israel' and do what serves its interest," Netanyahu said.
While acknowledging that the two leaders generally share aligned visions, Netanyahu noted that policy disagreements can and do emerge.
He stated that whenever differences appear, they are discussed with frankness and openness, adding that they usually succeed in reaching practical solutions.
'Israeli' military strikes strategic Ali al-Taher heights
- 'Israeli' military carried out strikes in the Ali al-Taher heights area of southern Lebanon.
- Authorities in northern 'Israel' warned residents to expect sounds of nearby explosions.
- An 'Israeli' official said the strikes near Nabatieh al-Fawqa targeted Hezbollah operatives outside the designated "Yellow Line" who were considered an active threat.
The 'Israeli' military has carried out a series of airstrikes and artillery bombardments targeting positions in southern Lebanon, according to reports from 'Israeli' media on Sunday.
'Israel’s' Channel 12 reported that the military launched an offensive focusing heavily on the strategic Ali al-Taher heights region.
The operation marks a notable flare-up along the frontier, occurring shortly after domestic reports indicated that localized maneuvers in the same sector had been temporarily held back.
Civilian alerts
As the cross-border operation commenced, the Upper Galilee Regional Council issued urgent security notifications to citizens residing near the northern border.
Local authorities advised residents that they would hear loud, consecutive explosions reverberating throughout the sector as a direct result of the ongoing military actions inside southern Lebanon.
'Israel' claims neutralizing threats
Providing official context for the escalation, the 'Israeli' Public Broadcasting Corporation (Kan) cited a senior official who confirmed that parallel airstrikes conducted in the Nabatieh al-Fawqa area were highly targeted.
According to the official, the precision strikes specifically targeted Hezbollah operatives who had advanced outside the bilaterally recognized "Yellow Line" boundary.
The official emphasized that the movements of these operatives were tracked by intelligence assets and determined to constitute a direct, active threat to 'Israeli' forces stationed along the border buffer zones, necessitating an immediate defensive response.
Ghalibaf: Iran won't recognize 'Israel,' no peace with US
- Ghalibaf said implementing the new US agreement will be "difficult but doable."
- He said diplomacy should reinforce the strategic gains of the "axis of resistance."
- Ghalibaf also claimed the agreement includes provisions on regional territorial integrity and halting hostilities against Iran's allies.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf defended the Islamic Republic's recent diplomatic breakthrough with Washington during a high-profile meeting with the head of the Hamas political bureau's leadership council on Sunday.
Addressing the fierce domestic and regional debate surrounding the accord, Ghalibaf characterized the implementation phase of the preliminary agreement as "difficult but doable," while emphasizing that the diplomatic track does not signal a foundational realignment of Iran's ideological principles.
Diplomacy as extension of battlefield
Ghalibaf outlined a pragmatic framework for Iran's current foreign policy, arguing that political negotiations must be leveraged to preserve the physical gains achieved by regional paramilitary forces.
"Diplomacy and negotiation must be able to untie military knots and consolidate the achievements of the fighters," Ghalibaf stated.
He noted that this objective is only achievable when a nation maintains an absolute state of defensive readiness alongside its diplomatic channels.
The speaker revealed key elements of the confidential text negotiated with the Trump administration.
He noted that Tehran successfully insisted on incorporating explicit clauses guaranteeing the territorial integrity of regional states and mandating an end to military operations targeting Iran's allies within the "Axis of Resistance."
Warnings to regional neighbors
Despite the active execution of the agreement, the parliamentary leader issued sharp ideological clarifications aimed at calming hardline factions within Tehran.
"There is no peace between us and the United States, and we will never recognize 'Israel'," Ghalibaf asserted in a series of urgent declarations carried by state media.
He framed the current truce purely as a tactical mechanism to safeguard Iranian state sovereignty amidst crushing economic and military pressures.
Concluding his address, Ghalibaf directed a message to neighboring Arab and Islamic governments, asserting that the current geopolitical climate has demonstrated the futility of relying on Western security umbrellas.
He claimed that regional capitals are increasingly realizing that normalization or strategic cooperation with Washington and Tel Aviv fails to guarantee their domestic security, urging a pivot toward localized, regional consensus.
‘Israeli’ forces will remain in Lebanon: Chief of Staff
- Eyal Zamir said the Lebanese Armed Forces must remove Hezbollah operatives from southern border areas under the new framework agreement.
- Zamir said 'Israeli' forces will continue acting against threats originating from Lebanese territory.
- He added that troops remain on high alert and are prepared to launch a rapid offensive if the ceasefire is violated.
'Israeli' Military Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir said on Sunday, that the Lebanese Armed Forces are legally obligated to clear southern border sectors of Hezbollah operatives under the terms of a newly signed, US-brokered bilateral framework agreement.
The military command emphasized that the implementation of the historic June 26 accord hinges on Beirut executing its security mandates, warning that 'Israeli' forces maintain complete authorization to neutralize immediate cross-border threats independently if necessary.
Enforcing security parameters
Zamir's remarks follow the implementation of a fragile, de jure temporary ceasefire designed to transition the frontier away from four months of intense conflict.
Under the security annexes of the framework agreement, the Lebanese military is slated to gradually assume exclusive security oversight over designated pilot zones as 'Israeli' troops monitor compliance from established forward defense lines.
The 'Israeli' military chief reaffirmed that defense planners are not relying solely on third-party enforcement.
"We will continue operating decisively to remove threats to our forces and civilians originating from Lebanese soil," Zamir stated, confirming that 'Israeli' counter-threat tracking remains active.
Political volatility
The warning comes as 'Israeli' units remain heavily deployed along a unilaterally designated "Forward Defense" zone inside southern Lebanon.
Despite the cessation of major hostilities, commanders on the ground have instructed frontline assets to maintain an absolute state of operational readiness.
Zamir concluded by alerting regional actors that 'Israeli' forces are fully prepared to transition to a rapid, high-intensity offensive posture at a moment's notice should Hezbollah or aligned factions commit a material violation of the current ceasefire agreement.
Iran's Bandar Abbas airport resumes operations after four-month halt
Bandar Abbas International Airport in southern Iran has resumed operations following a four-month suspension, according to Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency.
The airport received its first passenger flight from Mashhad on Sunday, marking the restart of domestic air traffic at the facility.
Tanker convoy traverses Strait of Hormuz via Omani coastline
A convoy of at least five commercial vessels passed through the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday using a route close to the Omani coastline, according to maritime tracking data, in the latest sign that shipping traffic is beginning to recover.
The convoy, led by the Liberia-flagged crude oil tanker Hafeet, included three tankers carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG), as well as a container ship, according to MarineTraffic.
The crossings came after Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said its Navy had deployed patrol boats to block what it described as the "Omani route" and issued radio warnings to vessels using the corridor, according to Iranian media and an IRGC-affiliated Telegram channel.
Tehran says ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz must obtain Iranian permission and follow designated navigation routes. However, an increasing number of commercial vessels are using a path closer to the Omani coast, reducing Iran's ability to influence traffic through the strategic waterway.
MarineTraffic data also showed that several vessels, including a Chinese-owned bulk carrier and a Chinese-owned chemical tanker, crossed the strait earlier on Sunday in the opposite direction using a route closer to the Iranian side.
On Saturday, several ships attempting to use the Omani route abruptly turned back. Shipping intelligence firm Windward said the reversals coincided with the presence of IRGC patrol boats in the area. By Sunday, four of the eight vessels that had initially turned around had successfully completed the crossing.
Iran military says it is strengthening combat readiness during ceasefire
The Iranian army said it is taking advantage of the ceasefire period to enhance its combat capabilities, according to a statement from its spokesperson.
The spokesperson added that the military is closely monitoring developments and will respond “firmly and strongly” to any mistake made by the enemy.
The army said it is using the pause in fighting to reinforce operational readiness, stressing that no time is being wasted in improving defensive and combat capacity.
Performer at Khamenei's funeral targets Trump in strongly worded poem
A performer at the funeral of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday used a public reading to criticise US President Donald Trump, according to the Associated Press.
The poet delivered a strongly worded piece before a large crowd gathered in Tehran for the multi-day funeral proceedings, the AP reported.
According to the report, attendees responded with chants directed against the United States and 'Israel', reflecting rising anger during the second day of mourning ceremonies for the late leader.
State-linked Iranian media also aired comments from a politician who said mourners’ “main slogan” was a call for “blood vengeance,” as public displays of grief and political messaging intensified at the capital’s main gathering site.
Netanyahu plans to visit Washington as early as next Monday
'Israeli' Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is planning a visit to Washington to meet US President Donald Trump as early as next Monday, according to CNN.
The two leaders, who have not met in person since before the war with Iran, held a phone call on Friday evening and agreed to arrange a meeting in the near future.
In comments to Axios on Saturday, Trump said Netanyahu “knows who the boss is,” underscoring the political tone surrounding their upcoming engagement.
CNN reported in mid-June that Netanyahu had sought an “urgent” meeting with Trump amid rising tensions over negotiations with Iran and a ceasefire arrangement involving Hezbollah in Lebanon. The Prime Minister’s Office at the time denied those reports.
Tehran metro records more than 7 million trips for Khamenei farewell ceremony
Tehran’s metro network has recorded more than seven million passenger trips between 5:30 pm on Saturday and 7 am on Sunday, according to official figures cited by the semiofficial Tasnim News Agency.
The sharp increase in ridership comes as large crowds gather for funeral ceremonies for the former Iranian Supreme Leader and members of his family at the Imam Khomeini Musalla in Tehran. The public event is scheduled to continue until 8 pm local time.
Tasnim reported that organisers have encouraged attendees to use the metro system to access the venue, as authorities manage heavy congestion around central Tehran.
Prayer held for Khamenei’s 14-month-old granddaughter
Funeral prayers were held today for four members of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s family who were killed in a reported joint US and 'Israeli' strike on 28 February.
Among the deaths was his 14-month-old granddaughter, Zahra Mohammadi Golpayegani, whose death has drawn attention across Iranian media outlets.
Footage published by Tasnim news agency showed Zahra’s small coffin placed beside that of her grandfather during the funeral proceedings in Tehran. The agency reported that her father, Mohammad Javad Mohammadi Golpayegani, attended the prayers.
Zahra’s mother, Boshra Khamenei, was also among those killed in the same strike, according to the report.
Khamenei’s sons seen at funeral
Three of the late Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's sons, Masoud, Meysam, and Mostafa, attended funeral prayers held ahead of his burial, according to the Associated Press.
The ceremony was also attended by Ahmad Vahidi, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), alongside senior Iranian officials and mourners.
Mojtaba Khamenei, the late leader's son who has long been viewed by some analysts as a potential successor, did not attend the prayers. According to the Associated Press, his absence was due to security concerns following reported threats from 'Israel' to target him.
Funeral ceremonies for Khamenei have drawn large crowds in Tehran, with officials and supporters gathering to pay their final respects before the burial.
Funeral prayers for Khamenei to be held in Tehran today
Funeral prayers for Iran's former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and four members of his family are set to take place in Tehran today, with nationwide funeral processions to follow before his burial in Mashhad later this week.
Masses of Iranians defy heatwave on second day of Khamenei’s funeral
Hundreds of thousands of mourners have flooded the streets of Tehran for a second day of funeral processions for Iran’s late Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, despite sweltering summer heat and a regional heatwave gripping the capital.
At the Imam Khomeini Grand Mosalla, large crowds gathered to view the flag-draped coffin, as authorities deployed water-misting systems, cooling tents, and distributed cold drinks to cope with extreme temperatures.
The massive turnout underscores continued public mobilization in support of the theocracy, and comes amid a highly charged political atmosphere as Iran marks a delayed state funeral following the leader’s death during the recent conflict.
Officials say the funeral rites, postponed due to hostilities, are now proceeding under a ceasefire arrangement that has temporarily paused violence in the region, with strict crowd-control measures in place due to safety concerns linked to past funeral tragedies.
Delegations from more than 100 countries are attending the ceremonies, which are expected to continue across multiple cities in Iran and Iraq in the coming days.
'Israeli' attacks on southern Lebanon continue despite ceasefire framework
Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reports 'Israeli' strikes hit the towns of al-Mansouri and Tallousah in recent hours, despite a US-backed framework agreement aimed at reinforcing the fragile ceasefire between 'Israel' and Hezbollah.
Iran envoy says friendly nations to get ‘special’ Hormuz fee treatment
Iran’s ambassador to China insists that new fees will be charged to ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz, an idea rejected by Washington, while assuring that “friendly” nations would receive special treatment.
The initial deal struck between Iran and the United States to end their war stipulated that commercial ships would transit the strait free of charge for 60 days, but it remains unclear what will be in place after that period.
Iranian Ambassador Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli tells the World Peace Forum in Beijing that his country is working in “collaboration and cooperation” with Oman on “new arrangements” for the vital waterway.
“As a country where the Hormuz is part of its territorial waters, we will definitely charge service fees,” Azli says in translated remarks, while insisting such fees would not be a “toll.”
“These new arrangements will be concerning guaranteeing the security of passage through the Straits of Hormuz, supervision of the passage of the vessels… and also guaranteeing and dealing with the environmental consequences of the massive number of ships,” he says.
“We will definitely consider special treatment for the countries that were friendly to us and specially stood by us during the hard times,” he adds.
The strait normally carries one-fifth of the world’s crude oil and liquefied natural gas, but it was all but closed by Iran during its war with the US and 'Israel', sending energy prices soaring.
Iran lifted its blockade of the Hormuz after it struck an initial deal with the US to end the war, and negotiations on a permanent settlement of the conflict are ongoing.
Previous day
For coverage of the previous day, visit the link below.
Read more: Day 127 | Iran begins weeklong funeral for late Supreme Leader



