Welcome to Roya News, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.

1
Image 1 from gallery

Spain, Ireland, France and others condemn 'Israel' over Gaza flotilla detention footage

Listen to this story:
0:00

Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.

Published :  
3 hours ago|
Last Updated :  
44 minutes ago|
  • European ministers condemn “monstrous” treatment of Gaza flotilla detainees by 'Israel'.

Spain, Ireland and France have strongly condemned the treatment of activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla after footage circulated showing detainees restrained following their arrest by 'Israeli' forces.

Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares described the treatment of the activists as “monstrous, disgraceful and inhumane,” speaking in Berlin on Wednesday. He said 'Israel’s' chargé d’affaires in Madrid had been summoned in protest over the incident.


Read more: VIDEO - ‘Israeli’ forces abuse detained Gaza flotilla activists under Ben-Gvir’s supervision


Irish Foreign Minister Helen McEntee said she was “appalled and shocked” by the video, which showed activists, including Irish citizens, kneeling with their hands bound. She demanded the immediate release of what she called “illegally detained” individuals. Among those held is the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly.

France also summoned the 'Israeli' ambassador over what it called the “unacceptable actions” of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who shared footage showing detained activists. Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot said on X that he had requested the envoy be called in to express “indignation and obtain an explanation.”

Turkey also slammed the ‘Israeli’ government after the video was released.

The foreign ministry in Ankara said far-right national security minister Itamar Ben Gvir "has once again openly demonstrated to the world the violent and barbaric mentality of the Netanyahu government".

Canada said the video was “deeply troubling and absolutely unacceptable”, adding it also summoned the ‘Israeli’ ambassador. 

"I have directed my officials to summon the Israeli ambassador regarding the mistreatment of civilians aboard the flotilla. What we've seen, including the video shared by Itamar Ben Gvir, is deeply troubling and absolutely unacceptable," Canada's Foreign Minister Anita Anand said. 

The diplomatic backlash comes amid escalating fallout from the interception of a Gaza-bound flotilla in international waters. At least 87 activists detained from the mission have launched a hunger strike in protest at what organisers describe as their “abduction” and detention conditions.

The activists, part of the Global Sumud Flotilla, said the protest began after ‘Israeli’ forces seized the Lina al-Nabulsi, the final remaining vessel in a multi-ship convoy that organisers said involved more than 50 boats departing from the Turkish port of Marmaris last week in an attempt to break the naval blockade on Gaza and deliver humanitarian aid.

In a video published on Wednesday, Ben-Gvir is seen walking among restrained detainees lying on the ground, shouting: “Welcome to Israel, we are the owners of this house."