Welcome to Roya News, stay informed with the most important news at your fingertips.

1
Image 1 from gallery

Telegram CEO Durov hails UAE’s air defenses amid Iran war

Listen to this story:
0:00

Note: AI technology was used to generate this article’s audio.

Published :  
2 hours ago|

Pavel Durov, the founder and CEO of the messaging app Telegram, has sparked debate with a sardonic social media post celebrating Dubai’s rapid return to normal life following recent Iranian missile and drone attacks.

In a post on X, Durov wrote: “ Dubai is full of traffic and crowds again. Already missing the Iranian fireworks — they helped clear the city of the easily impressed.”

“The UAE’s air defenses proved excellent under fire. For 0% tax, we get better protection than Europeans paying 50%.”

 

 

 

The comments come after a series of Iranian attacks in early May, including a May 4 barrage that UAE authorities said involved ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and drones. One drone strike ignited a fire at an oil refinery in Fujairah, injuring three Indian nationals.

UAE air defenses intercepted the majority of incoming projectiles, though the broader conflict has caused reported casualties and damage across several incidents.

Durov, who has long praised the UAE’s business-friendly environment, used the post to contrast the emirate’s security and tax policies with those in Europe.

As of May 10, the UAE’s air defenses “engaged” 551 ballistic missiles, 29 cruise missiles, 2,265 drones, according to official statements.

It is unclear if “engagement” refers to interceptions or simply detection. However, some reports citing analysts earlier in March said the UAE intercepted over 90% of Iranian projectiles due to a “layered regional air defense system” built by the Gulf country and its allies.