Published: 2018-05-05 11:25
Last Updated: 2018-05-05 12:36
Bad news for the Jordanian men and women who think diamonds are their best friend (à la Marilyn Monroe).
The government has raised the tax on the rare gem from 5% to 10%, the Income and Sales Tax Department announced this week.
Gold jewelry might be mighty popular in Jordan - for various reasons - but diamonds easily rank high on the list of Jordanians’ top choice of jewelry.
Speaking of diamonds, we all know that they’re made out of compressed carbon and that they’re the hardest natural substance on earth, but below are 8 interesting facts you didn’t know about the incredible stones.
1. Almost all diamonds are formed more than 100 km below the earth’s surface, inside the planet’s lithospheric mantle layer.
2. Diamonds are very old: billions of years old. Most diamonds are aged 1 billion to 3.3 billion years old. The oldest diamond to ever be found is 4 billion years old.
3. Some diamonds have come from outer space with an asteroid, and they’re known as carbonado diamonds.
4. Most rough diamonds are made in Antwerp, Belgium - aka the “diamond capital of the world” - and 80% of the world’s diamonds are sold in NYC.
5. Diamonds are 58 times harder than any other natural material.
6. It’s not just your jewelry that has diamonds in it; those stones are also used in a variety of industrial and medical tools.
7. More than 1 million carats of diamonds are mined each year (that’s 28,000 tons of diamonds).
8. Pencils are made out of 100% carbon, just like diamonds. Except the crystals are arranged differently, which is why they’re not as tough as diamonds.