Published: 2017-12-19 16:44
Last Updated: 2017-12-19 17:22
Jordan on Tuesday strongly condemned Yemeni Houthi militia's attempt to target the Saudi Arabia capital, Riyadh, by launching a ballistic missile, and deemed it as a "belligerent act," Petra News reported.
Minister of State for Media Affairs and Government Spokesperson, Mohammad Al-Momani, voiced Jordan's "unwavering support to Saudi Arabia in its "efforts to counter recurrent aggressions initiated by the Houthi faction", and reiterated the Kingdom's criticism of all military attacks targeting civil areas.
Momani added that Jordan "unequivocally backs Saudi maneuvers to reach a peaceful settlement to the Yemeni crisis and concomitantly calls all Yemeni parties to ditch violence, and inter-confliction, and to resume negotiations, in a bid to resolve ongoing turmoil peacefully to shun the brotherly Yemen the precarious ramifications of in-fighting".
The Saudi army said today it intercepted a ballistic missile in the skies of Riyadh, fired by the Houthi militia.
The announcement comes after a Saudi Arabian airstrike intercepted a ballistic missile fired towards the Saudi capital Riyadh on Tuesday.
Houthi rebels said the ballistic missile was fired targeting Al Yamamah Royal Palace, the permanent residence of the Saudi King, Salman Bin Abdulaziz, according to Mohammed Abdul Salam, a Houthi spokesperson.
Meanwhile, Saudi authorities announced immediately that they intercepted the missile and destroyed the projectile.
Earlier last month, the Houthis fired a ballistic missile into Saudi territory and it landed near Riyadh's King Khalid International airport.
Saudi Arabia is part of the coalition carrying out attacks on the Yemen Houthi movement, which is backed by Iran.