Published: 2021-12-03 16:23
Last Updated: 2022-05-18 01:06
Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) has not “not seen reports of Omicron-related deaths yet,” said WHO spokesperson, Christian Lindmeier, in a press conference, according to AFP.
“While I fully understand the feeling out there right now that we want to know everything possible about it (Omicron), we do not yet have information together. And we said a week ago, it will take two, three weeks. Now that was a week ago. So it will still take some time and let's not rush into conclusions here,” he told reporters.
Additionally, he reminded everyone that “the predominant variant right now still remains the Delta variant,” adding that although Omicron may come to a point where it takes over and becomes the dominant variant, however, at this point, “the very dominant variant remains Delta.”
“We have to protect ourselves against Delta, against COVID-19 and the measures that work against Delta work so far, as we know, mostly also against Omicron,” Lindmeier said.