Published: 2021-11-22 11:19
Last Updated: 2021-11-27 13:01
Monday, the Secretary-General of Epidemiological Affairs at the Ministry of Health Adel Al-Belbisi said that during the coming period, the government wants to give more time for people to receive the two doses of the coronavirus vaccine.
He pointed out that the new defense order which the government said will be issued soon, requires that the individual is fully vaccinated in order to enter public and private sector facilities.
Regarding the epidemiological situation, he indicated that the Kingdom entered the third COVID-19 wave around five weeks ago.
He said that last week Jordan recorded 21,000 coronavirus cases.
"We entered the wave by all standards," Belbisi continued.
And he indicated that, based on the previous two waves, reaching the peak of the wave needs around 8-9 weeks.
Earlier Sunday, the Council of Ministers held a session chaired by Prime Minister Bisher Al-Khasawneh during which it discussed the recommendations of the Supreme Framework Committee regarding the developments in the epidemiological situation in the Kingdom.
The Minister of State for Media Affairs, the official spokesperson for the government, Faisal Al-Shboul, announced that a new defense order will be issued during the next few days, under Defense Law No. (13) of 1992, to confront the increase in the number of coronavirus cases in the Kingdom.
Shaboul explained in statements to the Jordan News Agency (Petra) that the new defense order will include a set of measures, including the need to be fully vaccinated against the virus and obtain the coronavirus vaccine certificate as the only condition for employees and clients to enter all official departments, and public and private sector facilities starting from the beginning of 2022.
He also indicated that the Prime Minister instructed the competent authorities to tighten control and intensify inspection campaigns on all public and private facilities, to ensure adherence to safety and prevention measures, such as wearing face masks and social distancing.
Shboul added that the new measures include urging citizens, and all residents of the Kingdom, who are over the age of 18, especially those aged over 50, to receive the third dose of the coronavirus vaccine.
Additionally, the decision to vaccinate children (aged 12-15) is left in the hands of their parents after they give consent.
He lastly indicated that the Prime Minister urged all competent authorities to strictly implement defense orders.