Two more rescued from Lagos high-rise collapse

World

Published: 2021-11-02 14:32

Last Updated: 2022-08-13 05:00


Credit: AFP
Credit: AFP

Nigerian rescue crews pulled two more survivors out of a collapsed Lagos high-rise building on Tuesday and were communicating with others buried inside the rubble, a day after the disaster killed at least seven and left many more trapped.

The 21-storey building was still under construction when it fell abruptly into a pile of concrete slabs on Monday in the wealthy Ikoyi district of Nigeria's commercial capital.


Also Read: At least four dead, more trapped after Lagos high-rise collapse


Rescuers say they have so far managed to pull seven survivors out of the wreckage, but construction workers fear dozens of their colleagues are trapped inside.

Ibrahim Farinloye of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) told AFP at the scene that two of the seven were rescued earlier on Tuesday.

"There is still hope many more are inside. I spoke to some of them just minutes ago and their voices are strong."

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari in a statement late Monday urged "the authorities to step up efforts in rescue operations" for the victims.

But relatives were desperate for news of those missing a day after the collapse.

Sitting on the pavement near the crushed remains of the building, brothers Fawas Sanni, 21, and Afolabi Sanni, 17, were shell-shocked as they waited for news of their sibling.

"Our sister is inside," said Fawas, a tear rolling down his cheek.

Their 25-year-old-sister Zainab was posted on Sept. 6 to the construction site by the National Youth Service Corps, they said.

"I was the last one who to spoke to her before she went to work yesterday morning," said the older brother, covering his head with his hands.

Enahoro Tony, a volunteer rescuer, was angry with the rescue operation.

"I retrieved three bodies, then we were chased away by the army," he said. "What is going on in this country? I hate this country," he fumed