Health Ministry issues statement on death of five-year-old child in Al-Bashir Hospital


Published: 2021-09-14 09:40

Last Updated: 2021-09-19 19:00

Health Ministry issues statement on death of five-year-old child in Al-Bashir Hospital
Health Ministry issues statement on death of five-year-old child in Al-Bashir Hospital

The Ministry of Health issued a statement Tuesday expressing its deepest condolences over the death of the child Leen, who passed away at Al-Bashir Hospital Monday.

The ministry said that it has opened an investigation into the case to determine the cause of death. The investigation committee includes a medical, administrative and legal team from the Ministry of Health and the Hashemite University.

According to the statement, this investigation committee is different from the one formed Monday by the administration of Al-Bashir Hospitals.

The ministry stated that the committee began their investigations into the full circumstances of the child's death this morning.

The ministry confirmed that the investigation team will issue its report within the next 24 hours. Those proven to be negligent will be held accountable.

The statement indicated that this morning a specialized team from the Ministry of Health was also sent to Al-Bashir Hospitals to stay there around the clock to monitor the progress of daily operations and procedures in the hospital until further notice.

Monday, Maher Abu Hatab, father of Leen, 5, who died in Al-Bashir Hospital told Roya that his daughter died because of a ‘medical error.’

The child was first rushed into the ER for suffering from abdominal pain. She was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and sent home, the father said.

Abu Hatab added that the second time they took her to Al-Bashir they said the five-year-old had inflammation in the intestine.

The third time she required medical help, the parents took her to a private doctor who diagnosed her with appendicitis and said she quickly needed to be taken to the nearest hospital.

The father said her appendix then ruptured after Al-Bashir Hospital took four hours to determine whether or not she actually had appendicitis, after which she was taken to the operation room.

“The day after the operation, the girl’s mother informed the doctor that Leen's stomach was bloated. The doctor told the mother that there is gas and that she must walk and move around to get the gas out of her body,” he told Roya.

He added, “Because she still had gas, a new operation was scheduled.”

When she left the second operation, she was pronounced dead.

The father said that the Forensic Medicine Department told him the cause of death was a ‘medical error.’

In turn, the director of Al-Bashir Hospital, Abdelmane al Sulaimat, vowed to hold all those who were involved with the case accountable and that negligence will not be tolerated.

Sulaimat said in a press statement Monday that an investigation is underway, adding that the decision will be issued on Monday or Tuesday and the case will be transferred to the Public Prosecution.