Published: 2021-07-21 21:51
Last Updated: 2021-07-25 12:00
Liverpool, England was removed from UNESCO’s list of world heritage sites Wednesday.
The decision came following a vote in China by members of the World Heritage Committee, who indicated that the new buildings and development undermined the ‘Victorian-ness’ of its docks, making it the third site to be removed from the list.
The members said the new buildings undermine the city’s “authenticity and integrity.”
Liverpool was named a World Heritage Site in 2004, joining countless landmarks such as the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, and the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
The Mayor of Liverpool, Joanne Anderson, expressed her disappointment, saying the decision to remove Liverpool from the list was “incomprehensible.”
Anderson said she hopes to appeal the decision.
“I’m hugely disappointed and concerned,” said Anderson.
Anderson continued, “Our World Heritage site has never been in better condition having benefited from hundreds of millions of pounds of investment.”
The two other sites removed from the list include a wildlife sanctuary in Oman in 2007 after poaching and habitat loss, and Germany’s Dresden Elbe valley in 2009 when a four-lane motorway bridge was built over the river.
According to Al-Arabiya English, “The heritage label gives historic sites access to UN conservation funding as well as featuring in tourist guidebooks across the world.”
Threats of being delisted have hung over the city for just under a decade after UNESCO warned that plans for flats and offices would destroy Liverpool’s skyline.
Plans for Everton football club’s new stadium on part of the former docks were approved earlier this year despite objections from conservation bodies.