Friday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that fully vaccinated people "can resume domestic travel and do not need to get tested before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel."
Additionally, they "do not need to get tested before leaving the United States (unless required by the destination) or self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States."
According to the CDC, the newly published public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people will continue to be updated and expanded based on the COVID-19 situation, the percentage fully vaccinated people and the 'rapidly evolving science on COVID-19 vaccines.'
The CDC considers fully vaccinated people those who have passed the two-week mark from receiving the second dose of a two-dose vaccine, or receiving the first dose of a single-dose vaccine. The amended recommendations apply to individuals pitside the health sector.
The CDC said fully vaccinated individuals can:
- "Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing"
- "Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing"
- "Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic"
- "Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel."
- "Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States"
However, according to the CDC, fully vaccinated individuals should continue to:
- "Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing"
- "Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease"
- "Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households"
- "Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings"
- "Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms"
- "Follow guidance issued by individual employers"
- "Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations"