Published: 2020-07-28 17:11
Last Updated: 2021-06-11 16:11
At least 175 people have been poisoned after eating Shawarma at a restaurant in the north west of Amman, the director of Prince Hussein Hospital, Mohammed al-Abed, said on Tuesday.
Those who have become unwell had responded to a JD 1 meal special offer at the restaurant in the Ain al-Bashra area of the capital.
Ninety cases were reported Monday; 76 cases were treated at Prince Hussein Hospital – pushing it to full capacity. The remaining cases were transferred Ein Al-Basha Health Centre, Salt General Hospital and Jerash Governmental Hospital, said al-Abed.
A further 85 have so far been reported today.
Health Minister, Saad Jaber, checked up on patients’ conditions and ordered the hospitals to ensure follow-ups were carried out.
An investigation into the source of the poisoning is continuing.