Published: 2019-02-22 13:01
Last Updated: 2019-02-22 17:09
Seventeen people were injured on Friday after a fire broke out in a supermarket in Mafraq, according to Civil Defense.
The Department of Information in the General Directorate of Civil Defense said that the fire and ambulance crews dealt with a fire inside a supermarket as a result of a gas leak from the cylinder in Al-Khalidiya area in Mafraq governorate, wounding 17 people who were near the shop.
The department said that the leak caused an explosion which led to the collapse of some of the supermarket’s walls.
According to a Public Security Department (PSD) spokesman, a man barricaded himself inside the shop, threatening to commit suicide and lit the gas cylinder.
The media spokesman said an investigation into the incident has been opened.