Published: 2017-11-21 10:30
Last Updated: 2017-11-21 12:37
Jordanians woke up to the gentle sound of rain this morning, much to the relief of many who prayed for it just a week earlier.
However, with rain (and winter) come road accidents, which can occur due to wet and icy road conditions, fog and snow.
Driving in Jordan can be tricky at the best of times, that’s why following these steps this winter can save your life.
1. Stay alert!
2. Never warm up your vehicle in an enclosed area, such as your garage.
3. Leave enough space between you and the car in front of you. The general rule of thumb is that you should be able to see that vehicle’s rear tires, and if you can’t, then you’re too close!
4. Slow down when it’s raining or the roads are icy.
5. Check that your brakes, wipers and tires are fully functioning.
6. Ensure your car windows do not fog up.
7. If possible, refrain from using your parking brake in rainy, snowy and cold weather.
8. Use your fog lights when necessary.
9. If your car skids, take your foot off the accelerator and avoid using the brakes until the speed has dropped by itself. If your car begins to spin while you are skidding, steer into the direction of the spin until your car has straightened up on its own.