Published: 2017-10-01 14:07
Last Updated: 2017-10-01 14:23
Israel’s National Insurance Institute has recognized a Palestinian man from East Jerusalem as the victim of “hostile actions,” in an unprecedented move on Wednesday.
Luai Abed, 37-years-old, lost his eye after being shot by Israeli forces after he appeared on him balcony when he heard commotion on the street below. The foam-coated steel bullet injured the bones in his nose and caused him to lose his vision in his left eye, rendering him disabled for life.
Despite only being a bystander, Abed was stopped and searched in the ambulance at a checkpoint, and police also checked on him when he was in hospital.
Abed is the first Palestinian to be recognized as a terror victim, entitling him to monetary remuneration and various benefits under the Benefits for Victims of Hostilities Law, including a monthly disability allowance.
Efforts by Abed’s lawyer Eitay Mack to have police open an investigation yielded no results, and the victory against the NII was the result of a long and arduous case. Abed said that the shooting was initially rejected after the NII stated that “the disturbances are not hostile acts as meant by law”.
Mack appealed the NII’s decision, writing: “It is clear that if the appellant had been a Jew injured by the security forces when they were preventing disturbances in East Jerusalem, the [NII] would have recognised them as victims of hostile actions. As a result, there is no legal basis for the denial.”
Abed acknowledged that the decision would encourage more Palestinians to seek remuneration for Israel’s crimes against them.
“There are many Palestinians who have applied for this, and everyone is waiting to see what happens with my case, because it was filed first,” Abed told Ynet news.