Teen who died in Amman's Israeli Embassy attack to be buried on Tuesday


Published: 2017-07-24 15:16

Last Updated: 2023-09-27 16:19

Jawawda was declared dead shortly after being shot on Sunday.
Jawawda was declared dead shortly after being shot on Sunday.

Seventeen-year-old Mohammad Al Jawawda will be laid to rest on Tuesday, his family has said on Monday.


Jawawda was shot dead by an Israeli guard on sunday night, when he was reportedly installing furniture in a building used as accommodation for Israeli embassy staff in Amman.


The Israeli government alleges that Jawawda attacked the Israeli guard with a screwdriver, and that the guard subsequently fired his weapon, shooting both Jawawda and the building’s landlord, Dr. Bashar Hamarneh.


It is not possible at this stage to speak to the veracity of the Israeli version of events, with the Public Security Department releasing a statement on Sunday night saying that investigations are ongoing.


Jawawda was declared dead shortly after being shot on Sunday, while Hamarneh died of his injuries in hospital on Monday. It is reported that the Israeli guard also suffered stab wounds, but that they are "light".


The Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported that Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) and Israel's embassy in the Jordanian capital immediately declared a state of emergency following the incident, intending to evacuate all staff from Jordan.


Sources have told Roya, however, that the Jordanian Interior Minister Ghaleb Zu'bi attended the scene of Sunday.


It is reported that the Israeli security guard has been prevented from leaving the embassy, in Amman's Rabae neighbourhood, but further details are unclear.


Israel's MoFA has stated that the Israeli guard is protected by the Vienna Convention, which grants him diplomatic immunity from interrogation or prosecution by Jordanian authorities.


There were also initial reports of official Israeli censorship of news of the shootings, with Israeli media maintaining silence while Jordanian and international media reported the developing story.


An Israeli political source is reported to have said Israeli embassy staff in Amman were hiding inside the embassy for fear of mass demonstrations, according to the Ma'an News Agency.