Published: 2017-06-10 22:14
Last Updated: 2021-04-18 13:14
Bitter news for chocolate lovers.
The Jordan Food & Drug Administration (JFDA) warned on Saturday that international chocolate brand Mars has recalled its products from supermarkets in the UK due to a potential salmonella scare.
The JFDA’s Risk Management Unit launched an investigation to ensure that Jordanian stores that have imported Mars’s products from the UK are taking precautionary measures to ensure that their Mars products are safe for human consumption.
The chocolate maker has recalled thousands of bags of Minstrels, Maltesers Teasers and some bars of Galaxy, that were produced in the company’s Slough factory, after tests showed that salmonella may be present in their ingredients.
The confectionary firm said: “Through our routine testing, we have detected the potential presence of salmonella from the ingredients used to make our chocolate.
“As a precaution, we are voluntarily recalling certain Galaxy Smooth Milk chocolate bars, Galaxy Minstrels and Galaxy Counters and Teaser bars. We are working closely with the relevant food safety authorities and our customers to ensure that the affected products are no longer available for purchase.
“If you have one of the products listed above, you should not eat it. Please keep the product and contact our consumer care team to arrange return and reimbursement.
“No other brands or varieties of chocolate, pack formats, bar sizes or best before dates are affected.”
Meanwhile, the JFDA promised to keep a close eye on the investigation, while urging social media users, the media and Jordanian citizens not to sensationalize the salmonella story and to report on the incident in an objective manner.
The Mars products being recalled are:
- Galaxy Milk 200g Bar - product code AC76R, batches 719G1SLO00, 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May 6, 2018, and batches 720A2SLO00, 720B1SLO00 with the best-before date of May 13, 2018
- Galaxy Milk 4x42g Multipack Bars - product code AF67D, batches 719G1SLO00 and 719G2SLO00 with the best-before date of May 6, 2018
- Galaxy Milk 42g Bar - product code AN22R, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May 6, 2018
- Galaxy Counters 78g Treat Bag - product code AW99N, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May, 6, 2018
- Galaxy Counters 112g Pouch - product code AW99G in Ireland, batch numbers 720B1SLO00 and 720C1SLO00 with best-before dates of May 13, 2018
- Maltesters Teasers 35g Bar - product code AX46E, batches 720C1SLO00 and 720D2SLO00 in the UK and Ireland, with the best-before date of May 13, 2018
- Galaxy Minstrels 118g Pouch (Sweet Nights In promotion) - product code BJ30K, batch number 720B1SLO00, with the best-before date of May 13, 2018