Published: 2019-05-21 17:09
Last Updated: 2019-05-22 10:29
New Zealand police have officially charged the Australian suspect, Brenton Tarrant, who shot dead dozens of Muslim worshippers in Christchurch, New Zealand in March 2019, with engaging in a “terrorist act."
Police said in a statement on Tuesday, May 21, 2019, “the charge of engaging in a terrorist act under section 6A of the Anti-Terrorism Act 2002 has been filed against Brenton Tarrant,” said a statement from New Zealand police.
Police has also said that in addition to this charge, Tarrant was previously charged with 51 counts of murder and 40 counts of attempted murder.
Police explained that the decision was made after consultations with prosecutors and governmental law experts.
The next court trial was scheduled to be on June 14.
New Zealand police had earlier launched an investigation into Christchurch massacre by hearing evidence this May.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardran has earlier described the attack on the mosques as a "terrorist attack" that had been well planned since the day when Tarrant, a white supremacist, admitted that he was the perpetrator.
Also read: New Zealand terrorist stands in court