UPDATED- Confrontations in Jenin: Palestinian youth killed amid massive clashes with Israeli forces

Palestine

Published: 2018-01-18 09:55

Last Updated: 2018-01-18 12:12


The Israeli bulldozers demolishing Naser's family home and three others. (Twitter)
The Israeli bulldozers demolishing Naser's family home and three others. (Twitter)
Roya News Source

The Palestinian Health Ministry announced later on Thursday that the man who was killed in clashes was recognized as: Ahmad Ismail Mohammed Jarrar, 31-years-old.

This comes following earlier reports stating that Ahmad Nasr Jarrar, 22-years-old, from Jenin was killed in the clashes after his family's home was demolished.

Ahmad Jarrar, who was earlier reported killed, is the son of Nasser Jarrar, was active in the al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, and was killed in 2002 during the second intifada.

Ahmad Jarrar's family denied the reports talking about their son's death, since he left his family's home before clashes began.

Massive clashes erupted in Wadi Burqin, in Jenin during Thursday's night, after Israeli bulldozers broke into the neighborhood.

Jarrar is a suspect of being behind the Nablus attack that left an Israeli settler dead earlier this month.

Reports stated that a large military force surrounded Jarrar’s family home, in Wadi Burqin, before opening heavy gunfire and shooting grenades at the home, Palestinian media reports said.

The Israeli raid lasted all night until early morning hours, after bulldozers demolished Jarrar’s house and two other homes that belonged to the same family.

The raid resulted in massive protests and clashes, before the soldiers fired dozens of live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets and gas bombs, causing several injuries, including at least one, who was shot with live fire.

"At least one house was totally demolished and a Palestinian was martyred, but so far the situation is unclear, as the [Israeli] army has blocked medical personnel, journalists, and citizens from reaching the scene," Mansour al-Saadi, Jenin's deputy governor told Anadolu News Agency.

The current operation is the largest in several years, with the army coming in "with 50 military vehicles and using helicopters and drones", he confirmed.

Earlier last week, a shooting incident happened on the main road near the illegal Israeli settlement near Nablus, where the 35-year-old Rabbi Raziel Shevah was attacked. He died later of his wounds in a hospital near Tel Aviv.