7.7% of Jordanian households have at least one disabled person

Jordan

Published: 2018-01-14 10:02

Last Updated: 2018-01-14 10:19


There are 651,396 disabled people aged five and over in the Kingdom. (Wikimedia)
There are 651,396 disabled people aged five and over in the Kingdom. (Wikimedia)
Roya News Source

There is at least one disabled person in 7.7% of Jordanian households, with males making up 59% of that percentage and women making up the other 41%, according to the Sisterhood Is Global Institute (SIGI).

In terms of prevalence, SIGI said that the most common disability is physical (17.3%), closely followed by visual impairment (16.2%).

SIGI also revealed in a report published on Saturday that disabled women tend to suffer much more than disabled men in Jordan.

“Violence against women and girls with disabilities can come in the form of forced medical interventions, sometimes while they are completely unconscious. In many countries, including Jordan, women with mental disabilities are forced to have their wombs removed.”

There are 651,396 disabled people aged five and over in the Kingdom. Of those, 260,283 are not Jordanian.

This is the number of Jordanian women with the following disabilities:

Difficulty seeing: 160,155
Difficulty walking or going up the stairs: 141,004
Difficulty hearing: 88,507
Difficulty with focusing or remembering: 83,786
Difficulty with communicating with others: 48,238