Published: 2017-12-28 15:52
Last Updated: 2018-08-22 16:49
‘Baby Karim’ who became symbol of resistance in Syria against Assad’s regime, had lost one of his eyes in an airstrike fired by the regime, and might lose his second eye because of the lack of medical treatment.
Karim Abdallah, two-month-old, lost his mother and his eye in an airstrike last month on Eastern Ghouta, Damascus outskirts.
His father told Anadolu news agency that necessary medical supplies cannot be found in Eastern Ghouta, which had been under a siege for the last five years.
“I would like my son to be treated at a proper hospital outside Eastern Ghouta,” his father said.
“Local doctors did their best,” he added. “But to save his second eye, Karim requires treatment abroad.”
His father confirmed that there are hundreds of babies just like his son who should be evacuated from the district to receive needed medical treatment.
After Anadolu news agency reported Karim’s story, it was followed by thousands of sympathy messages and support by people around the world via online social media campaigns, where famous sports players, politicians and artists took part in.
Some of the world’s figures participated in the social media campaign under the hashtag #SolidarityWithKarim where the UK Ambassador and Permenant Representative in UK, Lebanese Prime Minister, Saad Hariri, French football player Frak Ribery and hundreds others.
We are in #solidaritywithkarim a two month-old Syrian baby who lost his eye and had his skull broken in addition to losing his mother when they came under artillery bombardment of the Assad regime on the #EasternGhouta.#WhiteHelmets in #SolidarityWithKarim pic.twitter.com/MNaS1inboS— The White Helmets (@SyriaCivilDef) December 18, 2017
When we sit around the #UNSC & warn that inaction will mean more people are going to die. More schools bombed. More children scarred. This is what we mean.— Matthew Rycroft (@MatthewRycroft1) December 19, 2017
We must see an end to the bombardment & siege of #EasternGhouta.#SolidarityWithKarim pic.twitter.com/8Io85VlDdF
— Saad Hariri (@saadhariri) December 21, 2017
The main opposition stronghold on the outskirts of Damascus, Eastern Ghouta was under siege by Syrian regime forces since 2012.
The blockade was tightened recently, preventing residents from importing their daily needs.
However, the UN called for urgent evacuation of 500 patients besieged in Ghouta, while 400,000 civilians remained under bombardments of the regime.